By John Marincola
- Comprises a chain of leading edge articles written via acknowledged scholars
- Presents huge, chronological remedies of significant matters within the writing of background and antiquity
- These are complemented via chapters on person genres and sub-genres from the 5th century B.C.E. to the fourth century C.E.
- Provides a sequence of interpretative readings at the person historians
- Contains essays at the neighbouring genres of tragedy, biography, and epic, between others, and their dating to history
Read or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best historical studies books
The right way to reinvent Lenin within the period of “cultural capitalism. ”The inspiration of a Lenin renaissance may perhaps good impress an outburst of sarcastic laughter. Marx is fine, yet Lenin? Doesn’t he stand for the large disaster which left its mark at the complete twentieth-century? Lenin, notwithstanding, merits wider attention than this, and his writings of 1917 are testomony to an impressive political determine.
Because the Nineteen Seventies West German historiography has been one of many major arenas of overseas comparative background. It has produced vital empirical experiences quite in social background in addition to methodological and theoretical reflections on comparative background. over the last 20 years despite the fact that, this technique has felt strain from resources: cultural historic methods, which tension microhistory and the development of cultural move at the one hand, international background and transnational ways with emphasis on hooked up background at the different.
Written in an enticing and enjoyable variety, this widely-used how-to advisor introduces readers to the speculation, craft, and strategies of historical past and offers a chain of instruments to assist them learn and comprehend the previous. half I is a stimulating, philosophical advent to the foremost parts of history--evidence, narrative, and judgment--that explores how the examine and ideas of historical past have developed over the centuries.
This publication explores the lived reminiscence of the Portuguese colonial battle (1961-1974) in the course of the research of thirty-six oral background interviews with ex-combatants of this clash. The meanings that the fighters attributed to their warfare reviews then and now are the book’s analytical focus. This undertaking seeks to respond to the next questions: how has the general public reminiscence of this colonial clash built in Portugal from 1974 to nearly 2010?
- History and Historians: Selected Papers of R. W. Southern
- 'A New Type of History': Fictional Proposals for dealing with the Past (Routledge Approaches to History)
- Discourse and Culture: The Creation of America, 1870-1920
- French Historians and Romanticism: Thierry, Guizot, the Saint-Simonians, Quinet, Michelet
- Imagining Xerxes: Ancient Perspectives on a Persian King (Bloomsbury Studies in Classical Reception)
Additional resources for A Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)